OUR MISSION IS to solve the world’s energy problems by accelerating the adoption of renewable energy.
Since 1980 we have completed thousands of projects and currently have more than 600 MW of utility-scale and commercial solar capacity under management. That makes us the third largest commercial solar engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) company in the U.S. Our highly-experienced team of professionals provide reliable and efficient commercial solar design, construction, operation and maintenance (O&M).
Borrego Solar is the largest privately owned commercial solar company and the third largest commercial solar EPC firm in the U.S.
Borrego Solar was established in 1980 by Dr. James Rickard, a San Diego State University Professor of astrophysics. The nearby Anza-Borrego Desert State Park inspired our name.
In 2001, the company focused on grid-tied solar installations for homeowners and small businesses. We opened an office in San Diego, and steadily grew the customer list. Our Berkeley office opened in 2003.
In California, we served increasing demands for clean energy solutions, while other states with notoriously high energy costs—like Massachusetts—took notice. In 2007, we opened an office outside of Boston.
A few years later, the organization’s strategic direction changed to focus exclusively on large-scale utility and commercial solar. We moved from installing kilowatts to megawatts. As awareness of solar technology increased, and more state governments found creative ways to incentivize installations, the solar industry as a whole grew exponentially.
This drove an expansion into new markets. In 2013 we opened an office in New York.
On our 35th anniversary, Borrego Solar expanded its solar operations and maintenance (O&M) to non-EPC customers. We provided an experienced partner to monitor, maintain, and operate existing commercial solar installations.
Borrego Solar formally launched its Energy Storage Division. This meets the need for greater control over peak load shifting and intermittency issues faced by municipal and investor owned utilities.
“Borrego’s electricians in California are wonderful to work with. For emergency work, I get pictures and detailed write-ups the next day. They follow-up on warranty replacement parts without me having to remind them. And they make recommendations to keep our systems up and running as profitably as possible. They always seem to be able to do what I need them to do, when I need them to do it.”
Engineering and Construction
- First Long Term Solar PPA with the U.S. Air Force at Edwards Air Force Base
- Largest airport solar project in California at the Sacramento Airport
- Largest portfolio of solar projects in Massachusetts for the University of Massachusetts
- Largest solar project in New Hampshire for the Town of Peterborough
- Largest portfolio of completed projects in the Southern California Edison Solar PV Program
- Largest (5MW DC) PACE financed solar project in the U.S. in Madera, California
- Largest portfolio of solar projects on Long Island, New York
- Largest CA community college solar project for Chaffey CCD
- Largest solar project of its kind for a ski resort in the U.S. for New York’s Gore Mountain Ski Resort
- Largest municipally-owned landfill solar project in New England for the City of Worcester
Operations and Management
- MWs under management tripled the first year the O&M division launched and passed the half a gigawatt milestone in 2016
- #1 private commercial solar company in the U.S.
- #1 commercial solar company in Massachusetts
- #1 commercial solar company in New York
- One of the most experienced solar EPCs in the industry