Applications Engineer II
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks an Applications Engineer II to join our team in San Diego, CA.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: The primary purpose of this position is to drive and manage the design and technology considerations through the solar project development process, working in conjunction with the sales, design/engineering and operations teams as the key technical and design advisor and product advocate for the sales teams.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Create, review, edit, and approve pricing tools for Project Developers.
• Assist in the development and delivery of sales presentations.
• Advise Project Developers in technical analysis of potential installation sites.
• Respond to functional and technical elements of RFIs/RFPs.
• Analyze and suggest areas for value engineering to provide most ideal solutions.
• Coordinate and/or produce pre-sales drawings to support the sales process with CAD and HelioScope.
• Convey customer requirements to Project Management team.
• Work with Procurement to ensure that product standards are incorporated throughout the system design and end to end processes.
• Complete production analysis in PVsyst for creation of proposals.
• Complete thorough hand-off documents and data for submittal of signed contracts to Operations team. Including but not limited to recommendations for the following: racking, modules, inverters, layout connection, strategy, interconnection strategy, constructability report including risks/unknowns, approved pricing tool, and all available plans for the site.
• Documentation included but not limited to AE reports and Scope documents.
• Completion of Interconnection Applications including Single Line Diagrams.
• Conduct Site visits as requested by Sales and Operations.
• 4+ years’ relevant experience.
• Experience preparing construction or engineering estimates.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineer, Civil Engineer, Mechanical Engineer or Construction
• Design experience with PV Power Plants including Ground, Roof and Solar Support Structures in AutoCAD 2013 or later.
• Familiar and able to interpret building, electrical, and zoning codes on a specific site.
• Working understanding of all solar PV Balance of System Components and able to produce design layouts.
• Design experience with electrical single line diagrams and three line diagrams for both DC and AC.
• Computer Skills: PVSyst, HelioScope, Helios 3D, Microsoft Excel, Salesforce, Box.com, PV Bid.
• EIT or PE certification is a plus.
• NABCEP certification a plus.
• Self-motivated, independent professional with strong technical aptitude, excellent communication skills and ability to be a critical member of team sales efforts.
• Comfortable in the dynamic atmosphere of a solution-oriented organization with a rapidly expanding customer base and product offering.
• Strong presentation skills and be able to communicate professionally in written responses to emails, RFPs, and when submitting reports.
• Experience and knowledge in a broad range of construction best practices and industry codes and standards, knowledge of the applicable portions of the NEC.
• Excel both in working independently with minimal supervision as well as being a vital member of a team.
• Exceptional ability to solve problems.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a casual community based workplace that is upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction. We promote from within and are looking for career minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing photovoltaic industry. We offer pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
• Competitive base salary
• Potential for bonuses
• Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for your interest in joining our team! We can’t wait to hear from you!
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)