Project Engineering Manager
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks a Project Engineering Manager to join our team in Oakland, CA.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the position: The primary purpose of this position is to manage and oversee full-service PV system designs while also providing internal engineering support to Borrego’s Southern California Operations and Construction team. The position will require an extensive knowledge of PV system design with a focus on identifying, communicating, and mitigating technical risks that may impact a project’s overall feasibility, cost, or constructability. The Project Engineer will be expected to deliver concise direction and full oversight to 3rd-party Engineering partners and Professional Engineers while also working directly with Borrego’s Southern California Sales and Operations teams in order to support baseline engineering assessment and technical support during construction. Coordination with Borrego’s centralized engineering department located in Lowell, MA will also be required to ensure all projects conform to the company’s internal technical and quality standards.
In addition to engineering support, the position will require local construction support for projects with completed designs. Support may include interface with AHJs and Building Departments to support permit approvals, communication with clients on technical issues or concerns, interconnection coordination and planning with local utility, construction administration, field investigation, and QA/QC of projects in construction.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Primary liaison between the Engineering team (internal and external) and CA Construction and Sales Teams.
- Manage schedule and work product deliverables from 3rd party design partners.
- Coordinate all pre-design site discovery and effectively communicate site specific issues to design teams.
- Act as a senior team member in communication with clients and project stakeholders.
- Assess and mitigate project risks in advance of detailed engineering efforts.
- Provide overall plan set Review for all work product received from 3rd party design partners.
- Develop and maintain outside engineering relationships with external companies used for engineering services within CA (e.g. Site Discovery, 3rd Party QA/QC, consulting, etc.).
- Attend pre-construction meetings with PM and Construction subcontractors.
- Support PM Team through permitting and construction administration for all projects.
- Manage construction quality through Borrego’s internal Construction Control Process.
- Work with the local and corporate level team to refine and improve internal processes, and raise Borrego’s status to that of a world-class PV design and construction company.
- Strong knowledge of Electrical Power Systems.
- This position will report to the West Coast Director of Engineering.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, preferably with a focus in Electrical Power Engineering, although Structural/Civil/Mechanical Engineering degrees may also be considered
- Ability and desire to become a licensed PE in CA.
- 3-5 Years of related experience designing and providing construction oversight for PV projects.
- Working knowledge of California Building Standards Code (Title 24, CA Code of Regulations).
- Demonstrated experience working with Building Departments and AHJs to obtain planset approval.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, MS Office Suite, and MS Project (or similar CPM scheduling software).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarly with Salesforce is preferred.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a casual community based workplace that is upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction. We promote from within and are looking for career minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing photovoltaic industry. We offer pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
- Competitive base salary
- Potential for bonuses
- Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
- Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
- 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
- Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering joining our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)