Civil Engineer, P.E.
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar energy systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seek professional licensed Civil Engineers to join our team in the Lowell, MA office.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: The Civil Engineer will work with a team of design engineers, project managers and engineering consultants to review and design, prospective commercial and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 1MW to 20MW. Primary duties include GIS review, zoning review, meeting with the local town, as well as presenting to investment committees, conservation committee, and planning/zoning boards. Duties will also include managing survey and environmental sub consultants as well as working with a staff of engineers with varying levels of development experience. The successful candidate will be relied on to balance due diligence efforts with projects risks for continued development of pipeline projects for Borrego Solar.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Experience with MA Conservation Committee, MA Historic, MA Natural Heritage, New York DEC, Army Corp of Engineers (Nationwide Permits), NY DOT and State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) is required.
• The candidate will work under the supervision of the Director of Development Engineering and the Principal Civil Engineer.
• The candidate would also assist in the continued development of standard details, notes, and specifications, and reviewing design drawings prepared by in-house designers.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Minimum 10 years full-time experience in site development and permitting
• PE License in MA or NY or both and willingness to become licensed in other states as needed
• Must have a strong understanding of all relevant codes including a demonstrated experience with the entitlement process
• Ability to work independently and effectively with project managers, clients, consulting engineers, design, and technical personnel as well as manufacturing partners
• Must be open minded, creative, and possess the ability to modify and expand theories to find creative solutions within the confines of the code.
• Must be confident; must possess the ability to substantiate code interpretations and mathematically prove design concepts
• The successful candidate must be a high energy, resourceful and organized engineering professional. The ability to manage multiple projects is a must.
• Experience drafting or reviewing engineering services contracts
• Solid written and oral communication skills are a must
• Ability to effectively communicate design concepts and lead meetings between clients, project engineers, code officials and third party consultants.
• Computer proficiency – AutoCAD Civil 3D, Hydrocad, MS Office a must. Salesforce experience a plus
• Experience with cost estimation of designs
• Experience developing projects at the local, State and Federal level
• Passionate about solar energy
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We promote from within and are looking for career-minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing solar industry. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
• Competitive base salary
• Potential for bonuses
• Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)