Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks a Project Developer to join our team in Chicago, IL.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: The primary purpose of this position is to drive bookings and revenue growth in assigned new Midwest geographical or industry vertical territories through establishing and maintaining key relationships with potential customers, project developers, financiers, and policy-makers. The candidate will be expected to be the primary regional expert in the company, and must either have or quickly develop fundamental market knowledge and the ability to create a successful plan to win new business. A strong applicant will be smart, articulate, motivated, independent, creative, and organized, with the ability to learn the technical and financial details of our business quickly.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Enter the Branch into new regional markets focusing on originating new development and engineering procurement and construction to services to multiple customer types.
• Meet or exceed annual sales targets (>$20MM).
• Developing projects from inception to executed construction contract, including developing an incentive acquisition plan and obtaining site control, determining interconnection options and site constraints, preparing permitting plans and supporting permit approval processes, identifying and removing impediments to finance, and working as part of an internal engineering, operations, and finance team through late stage development.
• Lead/opportunity generation primarily through independent activities including account profiling, cold calls, business networking and other market penetration strategies.
• Quickly identify key players and potential clients in the Target Market, filter and prioritize “real” opportunities from others.
• Gather market intelligence and expand relationships with appropriate government, regulatory, and utility officials to understand project approval process, electric rates and regulations and incentives structures.
• Analyze impact of changing regulatory environments and adjust strategy as necessary.
• Work independently and with senior management team to develop and execute on strategic plans to win identified opportunities.
• Work with Borrego PV Engineers and Finance teams to identify the most appropriate technical, material and financial solutions to optimize system competitiveness and be able to clearly present combined technical and financial solution to clients.
• Generate proposals, quotes, and formal RFP responses.
• Work with legal and executive teams to negotiate contract terms and close transactions.
• Consult with clients, construction and finance professionals in developing necessary financial models and assist with tax, financing, and regulatory related research and negotiations.
• Lead project hand-off to operations team for closed business.
• Represent Borrego Solar at marketing events such as trade shows and industry events.
• Appropriately maintain pipeline reporting and deal activity (Salesforce exp. preferred).
• Tenacious problem solver that can accurately identify, assess, solve, implement, and communicate outcomes of complex challenges.
• Self-motivated, independent professional with excellent communication skills, strong technical aptitude and the ability to thrive under pressure.
• Highly organized with ability to manage multiple projects in parallel and prioritize competing demands Passion for renewable energy.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Strong knowledge of the solar industry preferred – or equivalent knowledge and experience in large capex sales into Commercial and Industrial clients; including account penetration and influence of Corporate and Board level decision makers.
• Successful track record in a complex sales environment (over 5 years’ of $1MM sales transactions), preference for commercial or public-sector photovoltaic sales experience. Complex sales include technical, construction and/or financial products with mid-to-long sales cycles, and require established skillsets including relationship building, lead generation and deal closing, and demonstrated account growth and project advancement abilities.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and interface effectively with cross-functional employee groups.
• Ability to spend time in-person with customers and travel frequently in assigned territory (20-50% travel).
• Understanding of finance / business concepts (NPV, ROI, IRR, etc.).
• Familiarity with formal project management methodologies and ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We promote from within and are looking for career-minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing solar industry. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
• Competitive base salary
• Potential for bonuses
• Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)