Civil Engineer I
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar energy systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks a Civil Engineer I to join our team in the Latham, NY office.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: The Civil Engineer will work with a team of Professional Civil Engineers, design engineers, project managers and engineering consultants to review and design, prospective commercial and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 1MW to 20MW. Primary duties include the creation of plan sets, applications and due diligence associated with the permitting and entitlement of ground mounted solar systems.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Balance due diligence efforts with projects risks for continued development of solar projects for Borrego Solar.
• Prepare Site Use Permit (Site Plan Review, Special Permit/Variance/Notices of Intent) for submission to
• Local Boards in multiple states.
• Prepare SWPPP documentation (plans and narrative), submit eNOI’s and be responsible for civil site
• SWPPP inspections.
• Analyze and prepare Storm water Management Reports in support of solar projects using Hydro cad.
• Work with the Resources Group assisting in the development of standard details, notes, and specifications, and reviewing design drawings prepared by in-house designers.
• Coordinate the proposal and work of our survey partners.
• Coordinate wetlands, cultural and historical specialists, arborists etc.
• Manage the planning board and zoning board process for multiple projects in multiple states.
• Attend meetings with local planning/zoning boards as well as meetings with state agencies and other entities.
• Present to Borrego’s executive and investment groups regarding pipeline projects and status.
• Implement Quality Control for the civil component of our projects.
• Other duties, as assigned by leadership.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• 0 to 2 years full-time experience in the drafting and preparation of development and permitting documents and plans.
• Some experience with relevant codes and the entitlement process.
• Ability to work independently and effectively with project managers, clients, consulting engineers, design, and technical personnel as well as manufacturing partners
• Must be open minded, creative, and possess the ability to modify and expand theories to find creative solutions within the confines of the code
• Must be confident; must possess the ability to substantiate code interpretations and mathematically prove design concepts
• The successful candidate must be a high energy, resourceful and organized engineering professional. The ability to manage multiple projects is a must.
• Solid written and oral communication skills are a must
• Ability to effectively communicate design concepts and participate in meetings between clients, project engineers, code officials and third party consultants
• Computer proficiency – AutoCAD Civil 3D, Hydro cad, MS Office a must. Salesforce experience a plus
• Experience with cost estimation of designs
• Experience developing projects at the local, State and Federal level
• Passionate about solar energy!
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We promote from within and are looking for career-minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing solar industry. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
• Competitive base salary
• Potential for bonuses
• Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)