Design Engineer II
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks a Design Engineer II to join our team in Lowell, MA.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: The candidate will work with a team of design engineers, project managers and engineering consultants to design, review and approve designs for commercial, government and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 30kW to 4MW.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Draft plan sets accurately and efficiently using AutoCAD referencing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) like the Plan Set Content Standards, Design Standards and others
- Attend daily progress meetings on projects they are assigned to and update the team on the progress that has been made on their projects. Able and willing to step in and effectively run the project meetings in the absence of SDE’s
- Work on projects autonomously by referencing to NEC code and design standard, only consulting with Senior Design Engineer for direction on technical decisions or when there is lack of clarity or direction
- Update the plan sets with the feedback and corrections from the team members and resubmit for final approval
- Be a part of the final review meeting for each project helping the SDE draft the changes to the plan set in real time and submit the finalized plan for PE approval at the end of the process
- Use Borrego’s tools such as the Design Tool and others to finalize the electrical part of the design
- Once the plan sets are released, work with the PE team, SDE’s and Operations personnel to update the plans with any changes from the field; DE-2’s may be required to explain design decisions on their projects in the absence of SDE’s
- Capable of completing and delivering high quality production models for construction level of projects
- Actively collaborate with other members to improve Borrego’s design tools and SOP’s and provide feedback on their experience with those tools
- Work closely with their manager to follow a development plan including but not limited to progress towards NABCEP certification
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or similar, Solar Engineering is preferred.
- 2-4 years working experience in Solar or related engineering field
- Working knowledge of NEC with an emphasis on Art. 690
- Proficient in CAD and Microsoft Office
- Familiar with PVsyst or other production modelling tools
- NABCEP Certification preferred
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We promote from within and are looking for career-minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing solar industry. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
- Competitive base salary
- Potential for bonuses
- Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
- Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
- 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
- Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering joining our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)