Director of Policy and Business Development, East
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc. seeks a Director of Policy and Business Development for the East to implement our policy and new market development efforts across the eastern U.S. Borrego is a leading national solar and energy storage development, design, construction, operations and maintenance firm that focuses on the commercial, public, and utility sectors.
This is an exciting, dynamic opportunity, at a mature company that plays a leading role in industry coalitions and the policy-making process. At Borrego, we understand the value that effective thought leadership provides for our industry and for our business. We have actively worked to shape the positions that our industry takes in regulatory and legislative settings, and we believe that approach has been integral to our success.
Location: Candidates for this position will preferably be located near one of Borrego’s offices in Lowell, MA, Latham, NY, New York City, or be willing to relocate.
About the position:/strong>
The Director of Policy and Business Development for the East will have two primary responsibilities. The first is to represent Borrego in stakeholder coalitions and associations, in regulatory proceedings, and at state legislatures. In this capacity, the Director will work to shape policy outcomes in pursuit of Borrego’s mission, which is to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. The second primary responsibility for this position is to work hand in hand with our project development team and senior leadership to develop and hone Borrego’s business development strategies. That second objective, in our opinion, is what makes this an especially exciting opportunity when combined with a more traditional government affairs role. The right candidate for this position will be entrepreneurial and self-motivated, and will have an understanding of energy policy and markets, a demonstrated ability to work with internal and external partners to move the needle on key business and policy initiatives, and the capacity to think and act strategically to achieve both short-term and long-term priorities.
Because the bulk of the position’s responsibilities will revolve around the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic markets, candidates for this position will preferably be located near New York City, Albany, or Boston, Massachusetts. Some travel within the region will be required. The Director of Policy and Business Development, East will be expected to work closely with Borrego’s distributed and utility-scale project development and finance teams, and will report to Borrego’s Senior Director of Policy and Strategy.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Represent Borrego in trade associations and other coalitions of solar and electricity storage stakeholders.
• Work externally to shape and impact key regulatory proceedings at the state regulatory commissions that represent risks and opportunities for Borrego. Legislative work may also be required.
• Work closely with Borrego’s project development team to help drive our business development strategy by identifying risks and opportunities that arise from regulatory developments.
• Supervise and collaborate with outside counsel and consultants.
• Monitor regional solar and electricity storage policy, and communicate internally to keep Borrego personnel updated on what they need to know.
• Work autonomously to identify, prioritize, and address regulatory and legislative objectives and new market opportunities.
• Support additional policy priorities in other areas as relevant to Borrego’s evolving business development needs.
• Sharp analytical skills, independent thinking, issue-spotting, and detail-driven decisiveness are the most important qualifications for this position.
• 5+ years’ experience working on energy policy and engaging with regulatory and legislative stakeholders preferred.
• Familiarity with key current issues in East Coast energy policy, including solar and storage policy.
• Ability to understand and interface with key business units, principally project development and finance.
• Political experience is a strong plus; strong political skills and sensibilities are a must.
• BA or equivalent degree required.
• JD, MBA and/or a policy degree are attractive qualifications.
• Previous government relations experience is not required, but a keen understanding of the policy context and strong political instincts are key requirements for this role.
Borrego’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a casual community-based workplace that is upbeat and hard working. We promote from within and are looking for career minded individuals who want to advance in the growing solar and storage industries. We offer pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits, including:
• Generous profit sharing structure
• 401(K) plan with company match
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time off policies
• Health, dental and vision
• FSA – Dependent Care and Medical Expenses
• Life and AD&D
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)