Utility Electrical Engineer
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar energy systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks a Utility Electrical Engineer to join our team in Lowell, MA.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: Borrego Solar’s engineering and interconnection teams are seeking an electrical engineer with experience in power systems and an in-depth understanding of the how distributed generation interacts with existing distribution and sub-transmission systems. The candidate will work closely with internal stakeholders from the interconnection, project development, and operations teams to evaluate potential PV sites, review proposed relaying and integration schemes, and guide projects through acceptance testing.
Externally, the candidate will work collaboratively with utility engineers in a variety of service territories to design interconnection facilities and system modifications that enable the connection of parallel distributed generators while maintaining the safe and reliable operations of the distribution system.
Additionally, the candidate will have PV design responsibilities, and work with a team of design engineers, project developers, project managers and engineering consultants to design, review and approve designs for commercial, government and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 1MW to 50MW.
Position responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• 3-5+ years of relevant experience.
• Performing or evaluating utility impact studies.
• Producing protective relay settings.
• Reviewing interconnection drawings and application packages for compliance with relevant utility standards and regulatory obligations.
• Attending field design meetings with relevant distribution utilities.
• Performing power systems modeling including coordination studies and effective grounding studies.
• Assisting project developers in the evaluation of potential PV sites
• Investigating and analyzing clients’ existing electrical services.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• The candidate must have a strong understanding of distribution system impacts associated with the interconnection of distributed energy resources (DER), as well as techniques for mitigating common distribution system impacts.
• The successful candidate must have experience sizing and specifying equipment rated for 480V – 46kV such as: transformers, switching equipment, metering equipment, reclosers, direct transfer trip schemes, SCADA systems, switchgear, and protective relaying, as well as experience performing load calculations, short-circuit, and coordination studies.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Experience with power systems modeling software such as SKM, Aspen, or PSSe is desired.
• PE preferred.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We promote from within and are looking for career minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing photovoltaic industry. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
• Competitive base salary
• Comprehensive benefits package
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)