Estimating Tools Analyst
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks an Estimating Tools Analyst to join our team.
Candidates for this position will preferably be located near one of our offices; Oakland, CA; San Diego, CA; or Lowell, MA.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: Reporting to the Director of Applications Engineering, the primary responsibility of this position is to manage and administer our cloud based Estimating Tool(s), specifically PVBid, working in conjunction with our Applications Engineers, Product Managers, and Cost Managers/Estimators as the key technical advisor responsible for collecting, prioritizing, and implementing improvements to our cost estimation system. Support our estimating efforts through analysis and research of project, product, and task specific costs.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Administer the PVBid platform and continuously improve tool functions and features through logic creation. Provide training and support to team members on PVBid updates, best practices, and usage.
- Incorporate new products into the platform and update existing products; perform data analysis on cost-data from Salesforce and bids in PVBid, manage PVBid and database change log, manage our scrum board for making updates to our estimating tools.
- Work with Cost Accounting to ensure accurate cost data is fed back into the systems and procedures using best practices for data management.
- Utilize site visits and work with subcontractors as necessary for research into construction processes, practices, and production rates to uncover estimating feedback issues.
- Communicate with our product vendors regarding product changes, suggested improvements, value engineering and estimating mechanics.
- Become the dedicated resource to advise our Sales Engineers and Project Developers regarding our estimates and cost-based data in our database.
- Maintain databases / cost models to ensure reliable pricing is current and accurate.
- Travel to trade shows and conferences as required to maintain knowledge of industry best practices, trends, and technology. Review project costs to support cost evaluations back into models and standards.
- Understand the design applications and design limitations of our approved products and suggest areas for improvement to provide most ideal.
Desired Skills and Experiences:
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 1 year with a Masters Degree
- Experience preparing construction or engineers’ estimates.
- Advanced Excel experience writing VBA code or equivalent.
- Experience managing large data sets and databases.
- Experience with agile or scrum management tools.
- Cost Accounting experience.
- Experience with PV Power Plants including Ground, Roof and Solar Support Structures.
- Working understanding of all solar PV Balance of System Components.
Preferred Skills and Experience :
- Self-motivated, independent professional with strong technical aptitude, excellent communication skills and ability to be a critical member of team sales efforts.
- Experience and knowledge in a broad range of construction standards and best practices, industry codes and portions of the NEC.
- Comfortable working in the dynamic atmosphere of a solution-oriented organization with a rapidly expanding customer base and product offering.
- Strong presentation skills and be able to communicate professionally in written responses to emails, RFPs, and when submitting reports to the Leadership Group.
- Excel both in working independently with minimal supervision as well as being a collaborative team member.
- Tenacious problem solver that can accurately assess, solve, implement, and communicate outcomes of complex challenges.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a casual community based workplace that is upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction. We promote from within and are looking for career minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing photovoltaic industry. We offer pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
•Competitive base salary
•Potential for bonuses
•Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
•Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
•401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
•Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)