Estimator, Commercial Construction
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks an Estimator, Commercial Construction to join our team in San Diego, CA.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the position: The Estimator will be responsible for all aspects of estimating the most complex and large-scale solar projects, including conceptual estimates, negotiated bids, budgets, general conditions, systems studies and comparisons, value engineering, subcontractor relations and staying abreast of industry developments applicable to estimating.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Ensure that the estimating process runs smoothly and efficiently and client/stakeholder expectations are exceeded throughout the duration of the project(s).
● Build relationships to understand client, designer and subcontractor needs and expectations.
● Analyze drawings, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare time, cost, and labor and material estimate for projects.
● Effectively facilitates cost collaboration amongst team members.
● Effectively communicate with all stakeholders.
● Prepare quantity take-offs and apply unit pricing for material and labor to establish a value for the work.
● Understand the full scope of the project through design, document review and asking questions of the design team and owner.
● Prepare value engineering and risk analysis.
● Prepare qualifications and assumptions for the estimate.
● Prepare cost comparisons/reconcile with previous estimate.
● Provide input for Scope of Work document to PM and Pre-con Manager.
● Provide constructability review during estimating process. Create list of project discrepancies during estimating review.
● Work with Pre-Construction Manager to ensure quality control of bids and estimates.
● Work with Application Engineers during feedback review meetings to help implement cost control measures.
● Support Application Engineer team with continuous improvements to estimating tools through feedback loop process.
● Support operation team with change order pricing to clients.
● Support operation with subcontractor change order pricing review and cost control.
Desired Skills and Experience:
● Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Electrical or Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture or related field; or equivalent trade experience.
● 5+ years of experience as a Commercial Construction Estimator.
● Strong experience with estimating software like Accubid.
● Proficient in Estimating, Project Management and Scheduling software.
● Understanding of the influence of market conditions on pricing.
● Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
● Highly developed sense of professional ethics;
● Ability to work both on a team as well as independently.
● Ability to communicate effectively with tact and diplomacy.
● Proven track record of purchasing success in the construction industry.
● Commitment to quality.
● Demonstrated ability to improve processes and create efficiencies.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We promote from within and are looking for career-minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing solar industry. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
• Competitive base salary
• Potential for bonuses
• Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering joining our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)