Senior Design Engineer I
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks a Senior Design Engineer I to join our team in Lowell, MA.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: The candidate will work with a team of design engineers, project managers and engineering consultants to design, review and approve designs for commercial, government and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 30kW to 4MW.
Position responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Act as a team leader to design projects from start to finish working with PE’s, Production modeling team, PM’s and Site Supervisors to provide a code compliant, cost effective design that maximizes yield and system size on Solar PV projects.
- Coordinate the development of the plan set with the project team and oversee the work of one or more Design Engineers.
- Schedule and run daily or weekly progress meetings and other meetings necessary to gain consensus with the team.
- Use his/her experience to assist the project team in making design decisions and build consensus within the team.
- Review and evaluate design requirements from clients, their 3rd party consulting firms, AHJ’s and/or others to summarize the changes from Borrego’s design standards for the Borrego team.
- Actively participate in negotiating with our clients, the impact to projects on specific client requirements that are different from Borrego’s.
- Evaluate design options and changes to plans from our sub-contractors during the construction phase of projects and provide clear direction to the Operations team.
- Mentor one or two Design Engineers on best practices, explanation for design decisions, choice of products or procedures among others.
- Actively collaborate with other members to improve Borrego’s design tools and SOP’s and provide feedback on their experience with those tools.
- May be required to manage outsourced design partner’s work and maintain Borrego’s relationship with them.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- B.S. degree required
- Minimum 2-4 years’ experience in Solar PV design preferred.
- Prefer to have a strong understanding of all relevant codes including a demonstrated experience with utilities.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with project managers, clients, consulting engineers, design, and technical personnel as well as manufacturing partners.
- Prefer to be open minded, creative, and possess the ability to modify and expand theories to find creative solutions within the confines of the code.
- Shall be confident; must possess the ability to substantiate code interpretations and mathematically prove design concepts.
- The successful candidate must be a high energy, resourceful and organized engineering professional.
- The ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects is a must.
- Experience drafting or reviewing engineering services contracts.
- Solid written and oral communication skills are a must.
- Ability to effectively communicate design concepts and lead meetings between clients, project engineers, code officials and third party consultants.
- Experience with cost estimation of designs preferred.
- Computer proficiency with; AutoCAD, PVSYST, MS Project and MS Excel experience preferred.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We promote from within and are looking for career-minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing solar industry. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
Competitive base salary
• Potential for bonuses
• Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)