Senior Electrical Engineer
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks a Senior Electrical Engineer to join our team in Lowell, MA.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: This individual will program SEL protection relays and support Operation and Maintenance technicians in troubleshooting electrical failures of Borrego PV assets. In addition, the individual will effectively collaborate with a team of design engineers and project managers to design, review and approve electrical engineering scope of work for a wide range of commercial, government and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 30kW to multi-MW. This person will provide technical oversight and expertise during design and construction of projects.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Provide technical oversight and peer review of commercial, government and utility solar PV projects designed by a Borrego design engineers.
• Work with local utilities and AHJs to expedite project approvals and ensure Borrego designs meet all requirements for interconnection and operation.
• Assist in cost reduction and value engineering efforts to ensure quality, safety, and code-compliance is maintain while driving down the cost of installation.
• Manage the electrical QA/QC of completed and in-progress projects, including coordination of site visits, processing RFIs and submittals, and support for project commissioning and start-up testing.
• Develop project-specific calculations and system modeling to verify or determine conductor sizing, short-circuit analysis, arc flash hazard, overcurrent coordination, etc.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• 5-10+ years of PV experience.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
• PE certification preferred. EIT with a path to PE certification will also be considered.
• Strong NEC knowledge and exhibited experience in building electrical systems and design, including sizing and specifying electrical service equipment, transformers, metering equipment, protective relaying and/or overcurrent devices, cable, conduit, switchboards, and panel boards.
• Experience with performing load calculations, short-circuit, and coordination studies. SKM (or similar) software proficiency preferred.
• Demonstrated experience with utility networks and an ability to act as the main technical contact to utilities for interconnection approval of parallel generation systems.
• Experience drafting or reviewing engineering services contracts.
• Experience in SCADA and protection system design is preferred.
• Experience in medium voltage system design of 4kV to 115kV is preferred
• Ability to work independently and effectively with project managers, clients, consulting engineers, design, and technical personnel as well as product vendors and manufacturing partners.
• Must be confident and possess the ability to substantiate code interpretations and mathematically prove design concepts.
• Ability to effectively communicate design concepts and lead meetings between clients, project engineers, code officials and third party consultants.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We promote from within and are looking for career-minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing solar industry. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
• Competitive base salary
• Potential for bonuses
• Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering joining our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)