Senior Project Developer - Wind
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks a Senior Project Developer to join our New York team based out of our Latham, NY office.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: Reporting to the VP of Project Development -New York, the primary purpose of this position is to drive bookings and revenue growth in assigned geographical or industry vertical territories through establishing and maintaining key relationships with potential customers, project developers, financiers, and policy-makers. The candidate will be expected to be a primary regional expert in the company and must either have or quickly develop fundamental market knowledge and the ability to create a successful plan to win new business. A strong applicant will be smart, articulate, motivated, independent, creative, and organized, with the ability to learn the technical and financial details of our business quickly.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Develop wind projects equal to or larger than 5 MW.
- Meet or exceed annual sales targets (>$15MM).
- Develop projects from lead inception to executed construction contract, including obtaining site control, determining interconnection options and site constraints, preparing permitting plans and supporting permit approval processes, acquiring incentives, identifying and removing impediments to finance, and working as part of an internal development, engineering, interconnection, operations, and finance team through late stage development.
- Lead/opportunity generation through independent activities related to both site development and offtake, as driven by the market and Borrego’s strategy. Developer is responsible to identify strategies to grow their pipeline and advance projects through development with consideration to company cost and schedule goals, incentive availability, state and federal policy, internal resources, competition, and other factors. If required, developer is responsible for securing offtake contracts, starting from account profiling, cold calls, business networking and other market penetration strategies to securing PPAs.
- Gather market intelligence and expand relationships with appropriate government, regulatory, and utility officials, as well as other developers working in the market, to understand project approval process, electric rates and regulations and incentives structures.
- Analyze the impact of changing regulatory environments and adjust strategy as necessary.
- Work independently and with management team to develop and execute on strategic plans to meet quarterly and annual sales goals.
- Work with internal teams noted above to identify the most appropriate technical, material and financial solutions to optimize system competitiveness and be able to clearly present combined technical and financial solution internally and externally.
- Generate proposals, quotes, and formal RFP responses.
- Work with legal and executive teams to negotiate contract terms and close transactions.
- Consult with clients, construction and finance professionals to develop necessary financial models and assist with tax, financing, and regulatory related research and negotiations.
- Maintain milestone date forecasts, pipeline report inputs, and provide frequent updates on project-specific activity.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experienced wind professionals with experience developing distributed generation renewable energy projects.
- Candidates for the project develop position should have experience in sales, building pipeline, and managing portfolios of projects in various stages of development.
- Strong candidates will have knowledge of site prospecting and due diligence, acquiring land rights, project permitting and approvals, interconnection and incentive processes, and an understanding of current policy in target market. Candidates should have the ability to lead a project team with varying technical expertise, and to learn the technical and financial details of our business quickly. Additionally, applicants should have experience as lead developer for at least 5 MW of installed renewable energy projects.
- Salesforce experience preferred.
- Ideal candidates are highly organized, and can track and present current pertinent project details as needed to departments company-wide.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a casual community based workplace that is upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction. We promote from within and are looking for career minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing photovoltaic industry. We offer pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
•Competitive base salary
•Potential for bonuses
•Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
•Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
•401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
•Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)